- Nordea Debit is an international payment card with the functions of a credit card and a modern, convenient advantage — a contactless payment function that allows you to pay for small purchases up to EUR 10 in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania without inserting your card into the POS terminal and entering your PIN. Worldwide the limit for no PIN transactions varies between countries.
- Nordea Debit includes all the functions of a payment card. You can access your funds quickly and conveniently by using the card in the shops or in internet, also withdraw cash from an ATM. Nordea Debit comes with Contactless payment feature, which make your smaller purchases faster. Your larger purchases are protected with Purchase protection insurance.
- Nordea Debit card is accepted in physical and internet shops all over the world and it is really easy and convenient to use.
- You can pay with the card in all places that display the MasterCard logo.
- You can safely pay for purchases on the Internet (3D Secure Code).
- You can use your card to book and pay for hotels, airline tickets or car rental
- Also quick and convenient contactless payments are available with this card.
- Purchase protection insurance linked to your card will protect your larger purchases.
Cash transactions and possibilities at ATMs
- The possibility to withdraw cash from an account linked to your card from cash deposit/withdrawal ATMs.
- Cash withdrawal is free of charge from Nordea ATMs in the Nordic countries (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark), Russia, Latvia and Lithuania.
- The possibility to deposit cash in cash deposit/withdrawal ATMs in Estonia.
- You can use your card to find out the balance of the linked account.
- The possibility to change Nordea Debit PIN code without an extra commission at Nordea ATMs in Estonia.
- One or several additional cards for other family members, including children from 6 years old can be attached to the main card. A child’s card will be attached to the parent account and you will be able to follow your children expenses.
- The possibility to choose your card design.
- You can follow your transactions with Nordea Debit via your Netbank.
- Nordea Debit Card is valid for 3 years. You can receive your new card also to your home.
- Keep the PIN code of your card to yourself alone and never keep it together with the card. The PIN code is your electronic signature when you confirm transactions, so it is very important to keep it secret.
- When you pay with your card make sure that it is not taken out of your sight.
- Do not leave your card unattended. • When you enter your PIN code make sure that no one else can see it.
- If you suspect that your bank card may have been used by an unauthorized person, inform the bank immediately and have your card closed.
- If your card is lost or stolen, notify the bank immediately.
Contactless transaction FAQ
What is a contactless transaction?
A contactless transaction means paying for a purchase without inserting your bank card in the payment terminal and inserting the PIN code.
What is a bank card with contactless transaction feature like?
It is a regular bank card with the following distinct symbol
How to activate or deactivate contactless transaction functionality?
Contactless functionality will be activated automatically after first contact transaction in POS terminal or in ATM. To deactivate contactless functionality you need to contact the bank.
When will it be possible to pay by a contactless card in Estonia?
Most Estonian banks will start issuing contactless cards to its customers during 2016.
How to use a contactless card?
In order to perform a contactless transaction, the card must be placed against the terminal. The screen will display additional instructions and information about a successful payment. If the purchase sum exceeds 10 euros, then you must enter your PIN-code, depending on the payment terminal type, it may be necessary to insert the card in the terminal.
Where can I make contactless transactions?
In Europe, there are more than a million payment terminals with contactless transaction capacity. This year, contactless payment support will also be opened in many Estonian shops, restaurants and elsewhere. The goal is to provide contactless transaction capacity in all devices taking card payments by the year 2020.
Are contactless cards secure?
Contactless cards are secured by using chip and PIN technology. In Estonia, up to 10-euro payments can be performed without entering the PIN code.
If I am near a cash register or walk past one, is it possible I unwillingly pay for someone else`s bill?
No. First of all, the card must be closer than 3 centimetres to the payment terminal to perform the transaction. Secondly, the card must be held close to the terminal for longer than half a second. Therefore, performing a transaction basically requires placing the card against the terminal. It is not possible to make an accidental payment by walking by.
If the contactless card is lost or stolen, then does it mean that an unlimited number of payments up to 10 euros can be performed without my knowledge?
Though making a contactless transaction may seem very simple, cards are protected with different security features. After several contactless payments has been made, then the PIN code must be entered again, also the card randomly requires entering the PIN when making purchases. If your contactless card is lost or stolen, then the bank must be informed. If the customer informs the bank of losing the card quickly, then the customer is not liable for misuse of the card. In countries where contactless cards have been adopted, there has not been an increase in card fraud.
Is it possible that I will make a double payment, if I have several bank cards with the contactless transaction functionality?
No, payment terminals do not allow double payments, even if there is more than one contactless card close to it at the same time.